I’ve created a small project which parses .SLN and .CSPROJ files and allows you to compare and merge project settings across multiple configurations.
This has been a very handy tool for me. We have a Solution here at work that has about 25 projects, and often times we’ll have an ANY CPU platform configured to build for X86 in one project, but configured to build for ANY CPU in another configuration. This lets me quickly identify where bad misaligned configurations exist in my project files.
I haven’t yet published a setup project, but I have checked in the binaries under the bindebug folder. Please feel free to post any bugs or feature requests.
While I was setting up a new build server, I ran into a problem where I would receive the error “SGEN: An attempt was made to load an assembly with an incorrect format” when it would attempt to build my solution. It turns out it has to do with the fact that my solution contains mixed platform projects, even though I had my Configuration (in the Build Definition) set to Mixed Platforms|Release.
Several suggestions were made on the MSDN forums and Stack Overflow that didn’t make the error go away. I finally found a solution thanks to a user named wesen on the MSDN forums: see the post here.
Basically the build process is running the 64bit version of sgen.exe, which works great for X64/AnyCpu projects, but if you have a project set for X86 you’re out of luck. To force it to call the X86 sgen.exe (which still seems to be ok for the AnyCpu assemblies) you will need to set the Tools Version to X86. You can do that by following these steps:
In Team Explorer, right click on your Build Definition and choose Open Process File Location
Double click on the XAML file that is selected
In the designer, select the container called Sequence (this is the top-level container that goes around everything else).
In the Arguments list (typically at the bottom), change MSBuildPlatform from Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.Activities.ToolPlatform.Auto to Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.Activities.ToolPlatform.X86.
Save and close the file.
Check the file back in to TFS and try your build again.
This solution did the trick! My builds are now working exactly as I expect them to.
Another suggestion I saw (which didn’t help me at all), was to disable the project from creating a serialization assembly. Follow these steps to do that (it may or may not help, but it’s worth a try):
In Solution Explorer, right click on the project that has the error and go to Properties.
In the Build tab, scroll to the very bottom and change Generate Serialization Assembly to Off
If anyone has a suggestion for a better name than “Hide Welcome Screen Users” please feel free to drop me a line :).
Basically it’s just a very small tool written in C#/.NET that allows you to hide users from the Welcome Screen in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2. I needed to create several users that performed system tasks, and it was annoying to see them on my Welcome Screen every time I booted up. There’s an easy way in the registry to prevent specific users from showing up there, so this tool is basically just a small tool that edits those registry keys.
I’ve uploaded the C# source code for my Quest for Glory Character Editor. Currently it only supports editing or creating characters from QFG1, but I’m very close to finishing up support for QFG2. It took some work to reverse engineer some of the checksums that are generated, but the support for QFG1 is pretty solid and I’m very happy with the progress I’m making with QFG2 (QFG2 code isn’t yet checked in).
Please let me know if you find any issues or wish to contribute to the code. In particular, I could definitely use some help with support for QFG3 and 4.
I will also be providing an ASP.NET version eventually, so you can make edits or create a new character without ever needing to install anything.
Update (02-14-2013): Updated GitHub URL to new repository name.
Update (05-17-2013): QFG character editor web app is online at: qfg.bitcollectors.com. See blog post about it: here. Also, watch for an update very soon with QFG2 support. The code is checked in to GitHub and works but I’m trying to wrap up a couple other features, such as the ability to edit your gold inventory. I will update the web app and have a setup file available when it’s ready. I will keep you posted!
Update (06.14.2013): QFG2 character support has been added and the setup file is available now. Please see my latest post at: HERE.
So I’ve been reading up on the Git source control system and I gotta say, it’s a very cool concept. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and sign up for a GitHub account, which is accessible at: http://github.com/aplocher
I’ve played around with the Git command line tools, but I really like TortoiseGit. It makes it very easy for people who are used to the TortoiseSVN layout, but it also gets you familiar with the Git concepts.
I’ll let everyone know when I get some of my projects posted up there.